I Have A Concern…..

How do I report a concern about an adult safeguarding issue?

You might have concerns about abuse and neglect for yourself or someone you know.

  • if it is an emergency dial 999
  • to report a crime or potential crime to the Police you can phone the non-emergency number 101
  • to report an adult safeguarding concern please call 01905 768053
  • if you would like safeguarding advice please phone the Adult Safeguarding Team on 01905 843189 (note this number does not accept referrals)
  • professionals can complete an online form to report concerns about abuse or neglect
  • members of the public need to contact Here to Help on 01905 768053.

The information below tells you more about what happens when you report abuse or neglect and links to relevant policies and procedures that inform you how local services work together to protect adults at risk of abuse or neglect.

The Care Act 2014 (GOV.UK) sets out the safeguarding responsibilities of local services  who must work together to safeguard adults in a way that supports them in making choices,  and having control about how they want to live.

What will happen if the concerns are about me?

Your safeguarding concern will be passed to the Adult Safeguarding Team who will contact you.

They will discuss the outcomes you wish to achieve and whether you have support or need an advocate to help you explain what you want to happen. See the Independent Advocate Support section below.

We will establish with you who you want to be involved. Further information may need to be gathered and a decision will need to be made regarding whether a formal section 42 enquiry is required or whether there is other action that should be taken. A section 42 enquiry refers to that part of the Care Act 2014 which places a duty on the Council to make appropriate enquiries.

The aim of this process is to assist you to live the life you want, with support and protection if needed.

View the West Midlands Adult Safeguarding Policy and Procedures

Independent advocate support

The local authority will arrange for an independent advocate to represent and support a person who is the subject of a Safeguarding Enquiry or a Safeguarding Adult Review, if they need help to understand and take part in the enquiry or review, and to express their views, wishes, or feelings. If an individual struggles to understand or with the safeguarding process, a Mental Capacity Assessment will be completed to test out if the person has capacity or not to make their own decisions about their protection.

What will happen if the concerns are about someone else?

Further information may need to be gathered and a decision will need to be made as to whether a Local authority must make enquiries, or cause another agency to do so, whenever abuse or neglect are suspected called a section 42 enquiry ( see above).

We will need to establish whether the person you are concerned about has capacity to consent to the safeguarding process, and whether they need an advocate to support them. If you tell us you are worried about someone being abused, you may not always be told all the details of what action is taken. This is because the council has a duty to keep information about people safe.

Concerns for someone’s ability to cope at home

It maybe you are worried that someone maybe struggling at home with day to day matters. For more information and advice see concerns for someone’s ability to cope at home