About the Safeguarding Adults Board
What we do
We work at a strategic level to monitor the effectiveness of the safeguarding work carried out by all of our partner members and partner agencies.
What is our purpose?
The main purpose of Worcestershire Safeguarding Adults Board (WSAB) is to promote wellbeing and reduce the risk of harm for people with care and support needs. We do this by;
- Seeking assurance that our partners listen to the voice of the person at risk
- Seeking assurance that Worcestershire safeguarding arrangements are in place as defined by the Care Act 2014 and supporting statutory guidance
- Seeking assurance that safeguarding practice carried out by organisations in Worcestershire is person-centred and outcome-focused
- Work collaboratively in order to prevent abuse and neglect where possible
- Seek to ensure that agencies and individuals give timely and balanced responses when abuse or neglect is identified
- Assure our self that safeguarding practice in Worcestershire is continuously improving and that we are enhancing the quality of life of adults within our local communities.
Board Structure and Contacts
Derek Benson Independent Chair
Bridget Brickley Board Manager
Sarah Wilks Board Coordinator
Jane Jones Board Administrator
01905 844474/01905 846572
For all media enquiries relating to Worcestershire Safeguarding Adults Board please contact 01905 844474 or 01905 846572 or email SafeguardingAdultsBo@worcestershire.gov.uk.
How we do it
The role and responsibilities of the Board are summarised in the following 5 Strategic Objectives:
1) To provide and seek assurance of effective leadership, partnership working and governance, holding partners and agencies to account
2) To listen to people who have been subject to abuse or neglect, and seek assurance that people are able to be supported in the way that they want, are involved in decisions and can achieve the best outcomes
3) To be assured that safeguarding is embedded in communities, raising awareness, promoting well-being and preventing abuse and neglect from happening in the first place
4) To seek assurance that effective policies, procedures and practices are in place that ensure the safety and wellbeing of anyone who has been subject to abuse or neglect, are proportionate and that action is taken against those responsible.
5) To learn lessons and make changes that prevent similar abuse or neglect happening to other people
Each year the WSAB holds Strategy Day to evaluate the impact of activities over the last year and identify business objectives for the forthcoming year.
In January 2018 The Board agreed to move away from a three year strategy and focus on an Annual Business Plan in order to address emerging priorities identified through SARs and performance data.
Priorities for 2019/20 are:
- Ensure that there is an effective pathway for addressing and preventing safeguarding concerns (Making Safeguarding Personal/the Mental Capacity Act/ Learning Disability Mortality Reviews (LeDeR) , raising concerns and Section 42 enquiries)
- The development of Joint working with the Children’s Board – Family Approach
- Addressing the risks of exploitation amongst adults with care and support needs
These objectives have been used to complete the Annual Business Plan and inform the work streams of the relevant sub groups.
The Board is required to publish an Annual Report to show how it has performed during the year.
Other Boards and Agencies
We work closely with a number of other Board and agencies including;
- Worcestershire Safeguarding Children Board (WSCB)
- Safer Communities Board (SCB)
- Worcestershire Health and Wellbeing Board (HWBB)
Here are some more links that you may find useful including some partner agencies;
- West Mercia Police
- Worcestershire County Council
- Worcestershire Forum Against Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence
- Redditch and Bromsgrove Clinical Commissioning Group
- Wyre Forest Clinical Commissioning Group
- South Worcestershire Clinical Commissioning Group
- Worcestershire Association of Carers
- Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
- Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
- Healthwatch Worcestershire
- Worcestershire Voices
- Regulatory Services
- Age UK
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- NHS England
- Sexual Assault Referral Centre
- West Mercia Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre