About the Safeguarding Adults Board
What we do
We work at a strategic level to monitor the effectiveness of the safeguarding work carried out by all of our partner members and partner agencies.
What is our purpose?
The main purpose of Worcestershire Safeguarding Adults Board (WSAB) is to promote wellbeing and reduce the risk of harm for people with care and support needs. We do this by;
- Seeking assurance that our partners listen to the voice of the person at risk
- Seeking assurance that Worcestershire safeguarding arrangements are in place as defined by the Care Act 2014 and supporting statutory guidance
- Seeking assurance that safeguarding practice carried out by organisations in Worcestershire is person-centred and outcome-focused
- Work collaboratively in order to prevent abuse and neglect where possible
- Seek to ensure that agencies and individuals give timely and balanced responses when abuse or neglect is identified
- Assure our self that safeguarding practice in Worcestershire is continuously improving and that we are enhancing the quality of life of adults within our local communities.
Professor Keith Brown Independent Chair
Bridget Brickley Board Manager
Sarah Wilks Board Coordinator
Jane Jones Board Administrator
01905 844474/01905 846572
For all media enquiries relating to Worcestershire Safeguarding Adults Board please contact 01905 844474 or 01905 846572 or email SafeguardingAdultsBo@worcestershire.gov.uk.
How we do it
The role and responsibilities of the Board are summarised in the following 5 Strategic Objectives:
1) To provide and seek assurance of effective leadership, partnership working and governance, holding partners and agencies to account
2) To listen to people who have been subject to abuse or neglect, and seek assurance that people are able to be supported in the way that they want, are involved in decisions and can achieve the best outcomes
3) To be assured that safeguarding is embedded in communities, raising awareness, promoting well-being and preventing abuse and neglect from happening in the first place
4) To seek assurance that effective policies, procedures and practices are in place that ensure the safety and wellbeing of anyone who has been subject to abuse or neglect, are proportionate and that action is taken against those responsible.
5) To learn lessons and make changes that prevent similar abuse or neglect happening to other people
Each year the WSAB holds a Strategy Day to evaluate the impact of activities over the last year and look at any emerging issues identified through SARs, consolidation, or performance data. This informs the priorities for our Annual Business Plan.
The priorities agreed for 2020/21 are:
Making the System Work
Continue to oversee the delivery of safeguarding requirements; Section 42 (S42), Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) and Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS), ensuring that learning is embedded across all services and that the pathways are understood.
Build on joint working with other Worcestershire Partnerships to ensure that adult safeguarding issues receive the appropriate strategic ownership and provision across all services.
Develop the WSAB ability to understand the ‘wicked issues’ which have the potential to have an impact on safeguarding adults with care and support needs.
These objectives have been used to complete the Annual Business Plan and inform the work streams of the relevant subgroups.
The Board is required to publish an Annual Report to show how it has performed during the year.
Other Boards and Agencies
We work closely with a number of other Board and agencies including;
- Worcestershire Safeguarding Children Partnership (WSCP)
- Safer Communities Board (SCB)
- Worcestershire Health and Wellbeing Board (HWBB)
Here are some more links that you may find useful including some partner agencies;
- West Mercia Police
- Worcestershire County Council
- Worcestershire Forum Against Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence
- Redditch and Bromsgrove Clinical Commissioning Group
- Wyre Forest Clinical Commissioning Group
- South Worcestershire Clinical Commissioning Group
- Worcestershire Association of Carers
- Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
- Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
- Healthwatch Worcestershire
- Worcestershire Voices
- Regulatory Services
- Age UK
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- NHS England
- Sexual Assault Referral Centre
- West Mercia Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre