I Am A Family Member, Friend Or Someone Providing Support Or Care To A Person With Care And Support Needs

Information for carers

Adults who need Care and support often need a mixture of practical, financial and emotional support to help them to manage their lives and be independent.  These adults can include older people, people with a disability or long-term illness, people with mental health problems, and carers. When people need care and support their needs are assessed to see what services they may require, and where eligible, to assess the allocation of funds required to enable them to obtain care and support.  people’s needs.  This could include care home, home care, personal assistants, day services, or the provision of aids and adaptations.

Concerns for someone’s ability to cope at home

If you have concerns about someone who  is  struggling at home with day to day matters and live in Worcestershire more information and advice can be found by following this link concerns for someone’s ability to cope at home

Support for Carers

The WSAB also recognise that people who provide care for their loved one can at times need support.  We work closely with Worcestershire Association of Carers who provide a range of services and information for carers.  For more information go to Worcestershire Association for Carers website

Who needs safeguarding?

The Care Act (2014) introduced national eligibility criteria to safeguard adults with care and support needs. Adult Safeguarding duties apply to adults who are 18 years old and above and has  three areas of criteria:

The adult

  • has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs) and;
  • is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect; and
  • as a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect

For more information on the types of abuse and neglect follow this link who needs safeguarding

If you are not sure whether the situation is a safeguarding concern or a quality issue the WSAB have designed the following leaflet, in collaboration with our Carers Reference Group, to help you consider who to raise you concern with.

Link to WSAB Demystifying Safeguarding Leaflet V2  ACCESSIBLE

Link to WSAB Demystifying Safeguarding Leaflet V2

Raising a Concern

If you have  concerns about abuse and neglect for yourself or someone you know, please consider doing one of the following things:

  • if it is an emergency dial 999
  • to report a crime or potential crime to the Police you can phone the non-emergency number 101
  • to report an adult safeguarding concern please call 01905 768053
  • if you would like safeguarding advice please phone the Adult Safeguarding Team on 01905 843189 (note this number does not accept referrals)

Further information can be found by following this link:  I Have A Concern….

Fire Safety

We also work closely with Herefordshire and Worcestershire Fire Service.  Below are links to their guidance on fire safety in the home:

Fire Safety In the Home

They also provide fire safety visits to a vulnerable persons home.  Details of this can be found by following the link below::

Home Fire Safety Visit | Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (hwfire.org.uk)

Getting Involved

Worcestershire Association of Carers have a reference group which is represented on the WSAB.   We are keen to hear from people who support people with Care and Support needs about their experiences and any challenges, particular if they involve safeguarding.  for more information please follow this link Getting Involved

Useful Documents and Links